Tuesday 29 May 2012

Exhibition space is not democratic

Exhibition Space is Not Democratic - the words uttered at today's student meeting with art & media staff.

This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence; democracy is wonderful  -the Greeks were smart people, why on earth shouldn't space be divided equally?

In my mind, I envision the instillation to be in a corner, so that people are able to step inside,  however this may not be the case now & I will simply have to adapt to what I am given.

I have to say I not best pleased, as I dislike uncertainty.  I dislike being reliant on other people making choices on my behalf, it makes me so uncomfortable, and sometimes anxious and irritable, & even angry, which, in turn, makes me sad.  I dislike getting flustered as I'm usually a balanced  Zen person.

It would have been far more preferable to be able to say what space is required in a second pitch, or a written proposal, because now some people will not be able to have the whole body of their work seen if the space they are given is too small. because of a lack of space.  I think that by doing it the way it has been decided, somebody is going to feel disappointed and let down. The issue of space  is not a new one at College, as we have been told that in previous years the parents of students have been in to say how upset their children have felt because of the  unequal distribution of available space.

I am unaware of what the media students want or if we are sharing the same space or if we are divided up into pathways, fine art at one side textiles at the other.

I can however comment on other people's work on the Foundation.

Toby is doing structural origami sculptures & I wouldn't like to be next to his work as visually I don't think the blocking would work.

I wouldn't like to be next to Laura, as her textile pieces are coloured by nature & my greens & man-made objects could clash horribly & neither would complement the other.

Jodie's work is lovely & colourful as is Robin's,. which is why I wouldn't like to be next to them as when you see all my colours I want it to feel like a colourful slap in the face, loud & a little garish.

I would like to be close to

Leyla & her city scape a black, white and grey canvas with a big red London bus on it.

Abby's clothing: although it is bright and colourful the fabrics also have a pearled quality to them & her purple & dress could jar nicely with my mustard & orange.

Henifa is producing models & architectural sketches which are devoid of colour & quite angular & my piece would be a good juxtapose to her's.











No comments:

Post a Comment